Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Kindergarten

Jessica started kindergarten today.

In typical Jessica fashion, this is how the preparation went: I had picked out a dress and tights for her a few days ago. I showed them to her last night and got her approval. It was an aqua dress and aqua tights.

This morning when I said it was time to get dressed, she immediately told me she wanted to wear purple. Whatever. I checked her closet and she had a short-sleeved purple dress hanging there. I took it down and gave it to her.

In typical Laura fashion, I didn't realize until we were walking to the bus stop that the purple dress had a spot on it. A rather large spot.

But other than a slightly dirty dress, everything went fine. I had planned to drive to the bus stop, just because I was going to take her brother to daycare immediately after. But she wanted to walk, so we walked. Daddy and Xander were with us. The cat decided to come along too.

At the bus stop 1 other kindergartner, a 1st and 2nd grader, and a 6th grader joined us. I wasn't the only one with a camera. The bus was relatively on time (apparently last year on the first day it was 20 minutes late). I was so busy taking pictures I almost didn't have time for a quick hug and kiss before she climbed up onto the bus. She totally took it in stride.

I'll admit, I was a bit worried about how she'd do. She's done a fair amount of crying and clinging at drop-offs, especially in new situations, and as recently as this summer at camp. She told us several times yesterday that she had butterflies in her stomach. Maybe it was just the hustle and bustle of getting on the bus, but whatever it was, I was so proud of my little girl.

No comments: