Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Best laid plans...

While I was on vacation last month, I was perusing Boston.com and an ad for an exhibit at the Science Museum popped up. The exhibit was on dragons, mermaids and unicorns. That would be right up Jessica's alley, I told myself. I found out the exhibit was ending mid March, so I made plans to go this past week.

We met Kristin and her boys there. They had already seen the exhibit but wanted to see the dragons again. We saw the frogs exhibit first, because we came across it first and who doesn't like frogs? Then we went to the "mythical creatures" (as it was officially titled) exhibit.

It started off badly and got worse from there.

The first thing you see when you walk into the exhibit is this big dragon. Kemper and Rowan, being boys, thought this was fantastic. Jessica--not so much. She grabbed tightly onto my hand. Then we saw some more, mostly scary looking, mythical creatures, that looked like gargoyles and the living dead. Even the mermaids were kind of scary looking. I finally spotted a unicorn and tried to steer Jessica toward it but she wouldn't get within 10 feet of it because there was this other very large scary looking creature on the way.

I gave up at that point and try to find the exit while listening to Jessica say, "I'm scared, Mommy, I'm scared." Apparently the exit was not the entrance, because they steered you through a special store where they tried to get you to buy merchandise. I didn't realize this and went back to the entrance, dragging Jessica, who continued to cling tightly to my hand. We convinced someone who worked there (actually, Kristin convinced them) to let us out the entrance due to fear factor.

I'm not sure why she is so scared of some things, poor baby. The same thing happened when we went to the National Zoo on vacation. She was scared of the life-size model of a triceratops (or whatever):

Xander seemed okay with it, though.

Then she didn't like the dinosaur skull (it might have been a tyrannosaurus rex)

This was her reaction, after I got her to very reluctantly pose:


This tiger was much more her speed:


I feel kind of bad that she's so afraid of some things. I'm hoping she's just a sensitive little soul.

No comments: