Sunday, January 25, 2009

Subcontracting

One of Jessica's chores is to empty the utensils from the dishwasher into the utensil drawer. She gets off pretty easy because usually by the time I get to unloading the dishwasher, it needs to be loaded (and ran) again, so I frequently put the utensils away myself in order to be able to put the dirty utensils in.

This morning I decided she could do it, so I took the utensil tray out of the dishwasher and put it on the counter. To make things easier for her, we usually take the utensils tray from the drawer and put in on the floor and she loads it from there.

So, when she was ready, she took the dishwasher utensil tray off the counter and the drawer utensil tray from the drawer. I hadn't nagged her, she just started doing it, so I told her she was doing a good job.

Then I saw Xander over there with her, and decided to keep a closer eye. Last time Xander "helped" Jessica with this task, spoons and forks were intermingled in complete disorganization.

Turns out he wasn't helping her; he was *doing* the job. Apparently she had subcontracted the job out and was "letting" him do it. She left the room before her father called her back in and said if she was going to subcontract, she had to stay in the room and supervise.

The job got done with most of the utensils in the right place. Good enough for government work.

No comments: