Thursday, January 1, 2009

It all depends on your point of view

Today is New Year's Day. Jessica went out with Daddy to Chinatown last night and then they spent the night at a friends' house. She got about 7 or 8 hours of sleep. This became apparent when we were driving home from a playdate. She wanted chicken mcnuggets and since I suspected she wasn't going to be all that keen on the moroccan stew cooking in the Crockpot, I got her some. But by the time sheasked, I had already whizzed past the McDonald's on the turnpike.

Now, remember, she was sleep-deprived. So when she screamed at me to turn around and go back to the McDonald's, I took it in stride. I told her there was another coming up in 5 minutes, because I sincerely thought there was a McDonald's at the Westboro service plaza. Well, she didn't like the idea of driving to the next one and kept insisting I turn the car around. I didn't. But then I felt pretty bad when I discovered there was no McDonald's coming up. Fortunately, after a few more minutes of screaming, she fell asleep.

Being the softie and sucker that I am, I stopped at a McDonald's on the way back, even though she was asleep and therefore was no longer screaming for it.

She woke up as soon as we got home. She immediately started in on the chicken nuggets. I pulled them out of the bag, thinking this would make me the best mom ever, but she was *still* complaining about how I hadn't gone back to the first McDonald's. Yes, even though she had chicken nuggets in her hot little hand, she was still complaining.

It got worse.

She wanted, as most kids do, ketchup to go with her fries and chicken nuggets. The girl at the drive-through had neglected to put any packets in our bag. No problem, I said, we'd use our ketchup.

I went to our refrigerator.

Problem.

We threw out the entire contents of our refrigerator after the Ice Storm. I swear I put ketchup on the shopping list Hari took with him. But I might have taken it back off, thinking it could wait for the second trip.

That was a big mistake. There was no ketchup in the house. And she refused to eat her food because there was no ketchup. It's currently sitting in the fridge because she wanted to keep it for when we get ketchup. i didn't even try to explain about how it's going to be inedible by tomorrow. It's probably already inedible.

Eventually I reheated the leftover macaroni and cheese from a couple of nights ago, gave her an ice cream cone and got her to bed ASAP.

However, while she was eating her reheated mac & cheese, I was eating a hamburger. I went to get the ketchup to put on it and suddenly realized how disappointed she must have been to find there was no ketchup based on how disappointed I was when I found there was no ketchup.

Tomorrow we will be buying ketchup.

No comments: