Thursday, October 9, 2008

That girl knows how to bargain

Jessica's new thing is saying "Okay, let's make a deal" (and no, she hasn't been watching the tv show). I think she probably picked it up from me, because of my terrible parenting technique of bargaining. I should know better than to bargain with terrorists. But I digress....

Tonight, I made quesadillas for dinner. She wanted macaroni and cheese. Again. I told her no. She quickly wore me out. "Let's make a deal. If I eat 5 bites, then I can have macaroni and cheese."

It took me about 1 second to agree to these terms. I had leftovers from a previous meal; I wouldn't have agreed if it meant cooking it from "scratch" (ie: a box).

So, she started eating. I was instructed to count. "One. Two. Three." At some point she said, "I'm starting to like this," meaning the quesadilla.

"That's great," I said. I got distracted with something else, feeding her brother or eating my own dinner. She said she had taken 5 bites and I said I had only counted 4.

With no prompting whatsoever, she said, "Okay, let's start over." So she took 5 more bites. I went to reheat the macaroni and cheese in the microwave. "While you're doing that, Mom, I'll just finish this," she said.

Fine with me.

The whole thing reminded me of the time I was telling her how many bites of something I wanted her to eat. I said 4 (or whatever) and she countered with 5.

1 comment:

Nutan said...

Happy birthday, munchkin!!